Old July 10th 03, 03:00 AM
Rocky

"Frode Berg" wrote in message ...
Hi!

Has anyone experienced being struck by lightning in a small plane?
Can it be dangerous?
What happens? Loud bang?

I was flying VFR to and from the west coast here in Norway the other day,
and on the way back, I passed through some showers. I was within VFR limits
all the way, and suddenly I say a few lightning flasshes nearby, and got a
bit concerned.
I know it's not supposed to be dangerous, but it would be nice to hear what
happens if it does happen.

Thanks,

Frode

I got caught in the middle of what I can only describe as a spider web
of lightening while ferrying a Cessna 150 across New Mexico. The
turbulence rolled me upside down just as the lightning went off with
one helluva loug bang that was like a rifle going off along my ear. My
hair stood out from the electrical charge and there was a really
noticible smell that I have been told was ozone.
No apparent damage to the aircraft or electrical system/radio much to
my surprise.
On a different occasion while flying a Cessna 402 near Indianapolis
under IFR we took a lightning strike that hit the vertical stabilizer
and exited via the bottom of the right tip tank. Again, one helluva
loud bang and flash with the strange smell. None of the systems or
warning lights gave any indications of impending doom except for the
ADF going offline. On landing at home base, we discovered a small burn
spot on the bottom of the right fuel tank and fuel was slowly weeping
out of the pinhole in the center of the burn spot that was about 1" in
diameter. The fuel tanks were nearly full as this happened not long
after take-off and headed for home. We were not sure if we had been
hit by the lightning and with no systems alerts, decided to continue
on. The damage was discovered after landing about two hours later.
Those are the only two times I've been hit by lightning in over 40
years in general aviation as a professional pilot.