Old November 9th 18, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Any news about the new 600kg Microlight/ultralight in Europe?

On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 23:25:18 -0800, krasw wrote:

Historically (pre-EASA), in gliding world, UK has been land of free like
no other for gliding. Or at least that is my impression. Maybe you are
heading to that direction again?

From what I've read, immediately post-war when the CAA was restarting its
civil operations, they looked at gliding, decided they didn't want
anything to do with it and handed control to the BGA, where it stayed
until the advent of EASA, when we came under the control of the CAA and
the BGA became part of the structure (CAMO). Before EASA, UK gliders
didn't even carry G-registration: exception was the GSA (military gliding
club) that put G-reg on their gliders until at least the early '70s. I
only know this because my glider was originally owned by the GSA and I
was rather pleased to get its original G-reg back.

Historically the CAA and BGA have worked pretty well together and by and
large this is still the case.

We're heading into chaos at present because a number of greedy *******s
are trying to claim considerably more controlled airspace than they need
or can justify for their traffic level and think the resulting choke
points in class G are SEP. Take a bow, TAG (Farnborough), Oxford and
Norwich to name but two. This also happened immediately post-war: they
were kicked back into their kennels then and it looks as if the same may
happen again.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org