Old July 5th 13, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default DeLorme InReach Satellite Tracker FOR SALE

On Friday, July 5, 2013 1:42:10 AM UTC+2, Steve Koerner wrote:
Kirk,

I think your analysis is a somewhat flawed. There is a very big difference between 10 minute Spot intervals and 10 minute InReach intervals that include altitude, heading and speed. To someone interested in knowing how your doing, knowing altitude is huge.

Also huge is the ability to fully interact with your retriever / rescuer. With Spot you push buttons and hope; with InReach you send arbitrary messages and get replies. I once had an occasion that Spot completely failed to include coordinates in its transmission. The lack of feedback in the Spot scheme is a very big weakness in comparison to InReach. With InReach you can include the gate code, driving instructions etc.

The cost difference isn't really as you represented either. If you sign-up for Aviation 1 plan then the annual cost is $143. With that you can set 10 minute tracking intervals and if you fly a lot you'd likely have some overage cost during the peak season. But the InReach overage charges (unlike cell phone overage charges) are very reasonable. So, for many of us, the Aviation 1 plan will result in a total annual cost that should be fairly comparable to Spot's $150/year. For those that are willing to spend a bit more, you can signup for Avaiation 2 or 3 or 4 and commensurately reduce the tracking interval setting --the cost goes up rather gradually for those higher plans. This is all spelled out clearly at the Cumulus Soaring website..

Having used both gadgets, I think there's no comparison between Spot and Inreach.

On the contrary, Steve, I think my analysis is spot on (pun intended, couldn't resist). I agree that the Inreach provides more capabilities, but at a price - just like a ASG-29 provides more capability than a 1-26 - at a price.

Bottom line - either is better than none - whether it's a glider or a GPS tracker!

Cheers,

Kirk
66