Old August 10th 03, 01:51 AM
C J Campbell

"Craig" wrote in message
om...
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| If airports were managed properly, they would charge market rent for
hangars
| and other space. They would be profitable, and more hangars and office
space
| would be built, lowering prices over all until an equilibrium was
reached.

| From a developer's standpoint CJ, are you willing to lockup the half
| million or more that would be required to build at an airport like
| that for up to 5 years before you could even turn the first shovel of
| dirt? What about the airports that have room but get sued along with
| the developer every time someone tries to build or expand....willing
| to commit money there?
| You can't always assume that it's the airport or FBO's fault that
| there are not more hangars available or being built.
|
| A good example is Denton, Tx. It took us almost 15 years to get rid of
| the anti-growth people in the city council and administration. They've
| built and permitted more hangar space in the last 12 years than all of
| the rest of it's history.

Obviously, in a case like this, the airport is not being managed by the
airport 'management.' In the case of Denton, the airport was really being
(mis)managed by the city council and administration.

Given the ability to make reasonable business decisions, I believe that an
airport can be a good investment. Unfortunately, the political and
regulatory climate you cite are far too common. Another favorite: you can
build hangars, but only for a twenty year lease, after which the city seizes
your hangars without compensation. Then the idiots wonder why no one wants
to build hangars.