Old January 3rd 04, 11:24 PM
Mark James Boyd

Is it acceptable practice to put lead in a gliders tail to counter the
weight
of a large pilot?
David R.

I flew a twin commander (small twin power plane) which was overly
forward C.G. The owner had removed two large 1960's radios from
the mid/tail. Our A&P simply installed weights in the tailcone.

Personally, I would have an A&P do this kind of installation
in a glider as well. I would also find others who have done so.
I know the Sparrowhawk seems to have three different metals
for interchangable tail stabilizer crossmembers. Perhaps
someone could fabricate some replacement tail part from a
heavier metal?