Old April 1st 05, 06:03 PM
Homesick Angel

Dear All,

We're about six miles west of Brownwood, 2 miles east of Bangs. Just
south of 67/84. There's the "new" beige BSUD water tower and a bunch
of cell phone towers on the North side of the main highway. We've just
to the south of that. There is also another grass strip about a mile
east of us. There's a guy with a bunch of a pallets just at the north
end of the runway. You skim over those pallets, the train tracks, the
blackberry bushes, and you're here. There used to be two runways, but
plowed one up for more hay, was only 20 or 30 degrees difference and
the trees were really tall on the end of that runway and our neighbor
did want us to cut them, and it was shorter than the one we kept.
Where they intersecteed at the half-way point in the runway, it narrows
down to about a wing-span wide. Pretty scary if you're used to long
wide runways and not used to crosswinds. Going to have to move the
fence back, but been saying that for almost five years. Even if I move
the fence there's a berm there that would probably be almost as bad.
When we first bought the place 5 years ago, there were bit trees at
both ends. The ones at the north end were great cause it seemed like
if the wings cleared on both sides you were lined up real good for the
runway (wihich has always been a problem for me). Guess the trees or
my approaches scared him too bad, and the trees left and I'm still
here. That was the first time I ever had a glidescope or any kind of
VASI system. It was real neat passing by and if you we were just a
little above the trees you'd make the runway.

It might not look like an airstrip because I usually let my 40+ goats
graze on the runway at least once day. Today they took off for the
main hangar and then the T-hangars were the hay is stored. Never would
have gotten them out there and they would have eaten themselves to
death. Also have to watch them closely so they don't go out and devour
the 50+ fruit trees. Never realized a goat can climb a tree but have
several that are real good at it.

Guess the strip used to be on the maps back in the 80s but got deleted
some how. Have thought about putting it back on, but that requires
paperwork which is laying around here somewhere. Kind of like it nice
and quiet in my secret location - so don't tell too many people.

As for a crosswind runway, the western half of the property is
goatland, hangars, and farm equipment so we'd have to refence a couple
of thousand feet for the goats and there's quite a slope running down
to the SE corner with a bunch of houses at the end. We've scared the
heck of the guy with the pallets and the other people on the north end
already. My husband does bush pilot landings, back side of the power
curve, clearing the engine in the old Cubs and Champs, so it sounds
like it's not running right. I make airline approaches, takes me about
10 miles to get slowed to landing speed in my 182, stay a little high
and fast, and glide on in without changing the power much. There have
been people and State Troopers come tearing in looking for the plane
crash. Have gone to the highway dept and requested a sign for the main
road, but that hasn't happened yet. But haven't been doing nearly
enough flying, but once we start up again, will have to get some signs
made.

Tom covered the ailerons last wekend and I helped with the screws.
Still have to butyrate, nitrate dope a wing, final coats of dope on the
wings, paint the cowlings, doors, etc. Want to buy all new glass.
Have new flying wires and nuts and bolts for everywhere. Might put the
tail together this weekend. Was waiting on our mechanic, but he's
starting himself a new business. Names Cory and he's in Cisco, Teexas
at the airport up here. So if anybody needs any work done, he's an
excellent mechanic, and real reasonable. Been working on all our
planes for 5 years now and never had any problems.

Patrick. If you get a bunch of people together who want to learn a
taildragger, Maybe I could convince my instructor, the Ayuhtalloh of
Aviation, to fly the Champ out to Tennessee and a bunch of you could
get taildragger time. He's working on his CFI instrument (or
something) rating now and that 414 is really spoiling him. He gets
frustrated with the GPS that costs more than a taildragger and doesn't
work, or the HSI. At least with a Champ you don't have to worry about
that. I have very little faith in instruments. Seeing as how we have
all antique airplanes there's always some instrument that's wacky. I
know I've spend far more money on just basic instruments and radios
than anything else related to flying - not considering initial cost.
But usually we can only afford a project or neglected airplane so you
kind of have to expect that. I'll talk to the Ayuhtalloh and figure
out if he can do it. (if we ever get this Champ flying.) He's staying
pretty busy with students, flying a 414 and 337 for people, giving
lessons, etc, a

Sorry it took so long to get back to people. Ya' all take care.
Carol, The Homesick Angel.