Old March 30th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying with Karl

Just an aside re Parowan and KS. At the end of one day, Karl came over
as we were tying down our PW-6 and commented that in two thermals when
we were together, he could never climb his Duo up to us -- surprise.

Udo Rumpf wrote:

I flew 2 flights with KS at the Parowan Nationals last summer. Maybe
it was just me, but watching him was not a good learning experience.
It is like watching the cam over the driver's shoulder at the
Indianapolis 500 -- that won't help you at all if you try to drive
one of those cars. For me, at least, I would need to be the one
flying, with someone in the back seat telling me what I was doing
wrong. Not to say that it wasn't a great experience -- it was, but
just not one that would help me with my flying.

That is an interesting observation.
I was thinking of taking a few contest rides with him.
In my case I would be happy just to watch and analyse his action, as I
would be interested in pushing my average up.
Karl may not be the ideal candidate for me, in terms of his approach to
contest flying maybe Doug Jacobs would be the better temperament for
me. On the other hand my learning curve is still going up but flatter
then I would like. And the challenge to learn on ones own is rewarding
too.
Udo

--
Charles Yeates