Old January 25th 04, 06:48 PM
Frijoles

Roger that...

I was ready to dig out my copy of the FARs dealing with powered lift .

"Jim Baker" wrote in message
Sorry, I thought it was clear I was speaking about AoA to fly final and

land
the Bone, as you said you use in the Harrier.

"Frijoles" wrote in message
ink.net...
Good job JB, you compute an airspeed for the Bone. And so your point
is...*what* about landing the Harrier?

"Jim Baker" wrote in message
news
You're right Frijoles, in the Bone the correct answer for "What

airspeed
do
you fly on final" is "I don't know/care. I'm flying 7 AoA as required

by
the Dash One". There is however, a chart of airspeed and gross

weights
that
every pilot has and, IAW the Landing Checklist, every final must have

an
airspeed computed.

JB

"Frijoles" wrote in message
ink.net...
Nozzles aft, Harrier approach speed will be in the 155kt +/-range.

At
20
nozzles and auto flaps(normal for IFR final), you're somewhat slower

but
be honest I don't recall the airspeed because my primary reference

was
always AoA. Depending on the type of landing you intend to make,

once
you're in the visual environment, you transition to a higher nozzle

angle
(60-75 depending...), and in some instances, STOL flaps where the

flaps
program automatically as a function of nozzle angle. "On speed" for

fixed-nozzle slow landing is around 110kts. The *very* slow rolling
landings you occasionaly see are called rolling vertical landings --

60
kts
ground speed is the target but the transition to that speed will

usually
be
over the runway, not on approach final.

"Darkwing Duck" wrote in message

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you

have
been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit

slow
for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters

fly
in
the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly

much
fast
among civilian planes.

So how fast is short final in a F-14 or whatever? Always wanted to

know.