Old October 13th 19, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech.

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:30:32 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
I'd also like near real time online spot tracking. Just to be able to share flight status with family.
Although that's more of a "want to have", then a "need to have" feature.

You want Garmin inReach not Spot, all this has been discussed here in the past.

And an inReach would be my first choice, ELT and PLB secondary. In flight tracking is much more of a trustable system than hoping an ELT activates on a crash.

ELTs are pretty problematic. Do you want to pay the $$$ for a 406 MHz ELT? Where will you install it and it's antenna in a glider? With a RF opaque fuselage? I'd not be confident any ELT will activates reliably. A small ACR PLB on the parachute harness and inReach tracker doing high-update reports mounted in the cockpit seems a better compromise. Make sure your ground crew/club/FBO understands how to monitor you via inReach, and how to two-way message you. make sure your PLB is registered. And make sure your crew/club/FBO know you have a PLB.