Old October 13th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech.

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 6:32:47 PM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
Reviewing In Reach VS Spot, seems the same, however the In Reach service fee looks to be significantly higher.

Comments, or am I missing something.

It seems that the Spot X has capabilities that only inReach had before, namely the ability to send and receive messages, not just tracking points and SOS messages. AFAIK, Spot does not send altitude, which inReach does.

I subscribe to the inReach freedom plan ($35/mo), which you can suspend at any time. I need it for 3 months a year, for $105. The cheapest Spot plan is $15/mo plus $20 one-time activation and $25/year. It would take me about 8 years to recoup the cost of the Spot X ($250), which isn't worth it. And my wife wouldn't want to sacrifice altitude reporting. Plus, the tracking points are one-way; you don't know if they were received.

It would make more sense if I used it for more months.

Tom