Old May 13th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 3:03:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Here's why I don't recommend a compass:

1) Most people have no idea how to properly navigate in the backcountry by compass. You need to know how to shoot bearings, triangulate, understand contour lines, measure distance, etc. Without prior orienteering experience, a compass isn't very useful.

2) A compass should really be used with a particular type of map, such as a USG map with 1:24000 scale and 100ft contour lines. You'll also want a pencil and an altimeter is very helpful too. Given the possible range of soaring flights, you'd need to carr a bunch of maps in your bailout kit. Then, you'd need to change out your map collection whenever you fly at a new location.

3) Even if you have the necessary maps and skills, GPS works sooooooo much better than a mechanical compass.

4) I'm pretty well covered by my other devices. In fact, my Garmin InReach has a compass. Even without GPS signal, it provides a working compass, barometric altimeter, and topo maps. My phone also has GPS, compass, and topo maps. I also have an inclinometer app that I use to evaluate avalanche risk. Don't feel comfortable with only two navigation devices? Get a Garmin watch!

Anyways, my advice is to have at least two navigation devices. These should be fast, accurate, and easy to use, which rules out a magnetic compass for most people.

All of those things are fine nav aids - when they work. Batteries die and canyons and trees block GPS reception. A magnetic compass WILL work virtually all of the time. Maps can be carried electronically in a smart phone or a tablet. I like backups if the **** hits the fan. As with anything, practice is highly recommended BEFORE your life depends upon it.

Tom

One should make your sight picture as large as possible (spread out chute) and stay with the aircraft unless you have a great idea or need. If you are going to move, generally you follow drainage so a compass doesn't mean ****. I have one on my paracord bracelet, doubt I would ever use it. The only time I have ever used one in a glider was to figure runway direction from a vertical card compass. If you are in flat land a compass would be darn handy though.