Old October 14th 03, 07:40 PM
Jeremy Lew

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Corky Scott" wrote in message
With my last experience, the engine actually went into hydraulic lock
without me touching the controls or using the auxiliary fuel pump.
The prop barely turn half a turn before it stopped and the starter
couldn't crank it anymore.

If you are having trouble with the starter not being able to turn the

engine
on a C172, you've either got a dead battery, or something worse is going

on.

I had the same problem hot-starting a PA32-300 recently. Let sit for a
minute or two, starter was able to crank again. It was the only hot start
I've had to do (so far) in that plane, and the only one where cranking was a
problem. I don't think there's anything wrong with the battery or the
starter, it was some transient condition of the engine.

Jeremy