Old January 10th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Mazda single rotor weight?

Atkins lists the weight of their single rotor "industrial" version of
the Mazda 13B at 80 lbs and their marine version at 130. I've got most
of a 13B apart on the shop floor with the idea of building a truncated
version for aviation use but I'd like to know if the weights are
anywhere near real world before I chuck the eccentric shaft in the
lathe.

I'd toss the bits and pieces in a bucket and weigh the whole lot but
unfortunately I don't have all of the little things needed to make a
motor actually burn fuel, like water pump and induction system.

So what I'd like to know is if these numbers can be duplicated without
having to resort to expensive aluminum end housings. Anybody out there
with firsthand experience with single rotor 13B's?
Leon McAtee
Yes, I know I'll have to add the weight of a PSRU................