Old July 23rd 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default thermal wave

Hi John! Sure...

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 1:45:38 PM UTC-4, firsys wrote:
Yesterday, close to my home field, after I had given up( 2500 ft cloudbase)
I noticed lennie like clouds lining up across the light NW wind.

I have flown thermal wave often in the past, but nothing in the last
ten years. Missed this one but probably too weak to use.

These systems can difficult to get into but extensive and rewarding
if you can do it.

Has anyone any idea of the met conditions for development of T.W?
Here are a couple:

Weak convection in the lower layer with light winds.

No, doesn't have to be weak.

An upper wind of 15+ kts above an inversion, rising with height.

More important is a change in direction at the top and above
the convective layer.

But there must be something else or I would see this more frequently.

It is actually very common, but much easier to see from above.
In eastern North America, especially near frontal passages (because of wind
rotation). I've flown in thermal wave often in New England and also flat terrain
in Florida, Texas, South Carolina, a few Australian sites, etc.
See for example: http://www.ssa.org/Contests?show=blog&id=4169
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....Id=-1131309345

Fun stuff!
Best Regards, Dave