Old July 24th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default thermal wave

On 7/24/2017 5:25 AM, wrote:

Back in the early 80's my friend Bennie Flowers and I flew a Florida wave on three different occasions. The wave took us well offshore south of Miami and we could have easily landed in the Bahamas. There was an article written for Soaring Magazine which depicted photos of the clouds. Since that time I have seem that same type cloud formation only a couple of times. As I recall the cloud base was about 2500 feet and we flew between the row of clouds and started going up like a homesick angel. Wish I could find those same conditions again. Bob

Wow! That would have been some retrieve!! Or maybe you could do a
ground launch behind a para-sail boat. Even pay to have him drag you to
within gliding distance of home.
--
Dan, 5J