Old May 21st 18, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Glide computer in certified glider

It's a suckers bet. I have no doubt that you can find someone at a FSDO that will agree with you. I also have no doubt that Darryl can find many more FAA Inspectors that will agree with him.

As a side job to my airline position, I work closely with the FAA on Master Minimum Equipment List policy and the default answer to any question the FAA is unprepared to answer is always skewed to more paperwork and regulation. In essence, it's easier to say, "no" than to do the research and say, "yes". I can recount many instances where the FAA stance was negative until the regulations, advisory circulars, institutional preactices, and legal interpretations were presented. Still, we still run into POIs and PMIs that are stubborn about their pet opinions and will not accept anything that is outside of their comfort zone without a mandate from above. The same holds for IAs/AIs who have chosen to interpret the guidance to suit their opinions. I've heard some really creative, but solid logic on repairs and rebuilding from IAs around the hangar over the years.

I have a lot of respect for the experts at the FAA, but they cannot know everything and will often default to "you can't do that" when pressed for an opinion without time to research the issue. Darryl has clearly presented a strong case that would hold up to FAA scrutiny.

The continued bickering is juvenile and embarrassing.

Enough talking...Let's Fly!

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL