Old May 21st 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Glide computer in certified glider

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 11:40:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
"I have no doubt that you can find someone at a FSDO that will agree with you. I also have no doubt that Darryl can find many more FAA Inspectors that will agree with him."

Airshow pilots, who deal with different FSDOs every weekend during the airshow season are fond of saying, "The FAA has about 90 FSDOs. Each independently owned and operated."

Some FSDO inspectors are great and know their stuff. Some are not so great and make stuff up all the time. Gotta watch out for that, as the tendency in the bureaucracy is to circle the wagons and back up erroneous directives and advice to avoid having to admit to a mistake.

I spoke with Dave Hartson at the Spokane FSDO (509-532-2360) and, when asked if an ADS-B Out install in a standard category aircraft was a minor or major alteration, his reply was "It depends." What it depends upon is the complexity of the installation. If it can be accomplished with simple hand tools, it was probably minor. But if it involved "drilling holes and using pop rivets" it was probably a major. They are very willing to give guidance on this issue if drawings, photos, sketches, etc. of the proposed install is sent to them. He also said that experimental aircraft only require a logbook entry signed off by an A&P.

Tom