Old May 2nd 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Paper Maps Cockpit -- What do you do? Moving Map Display

I carry a folded up sectional to be legal but I get my information via
XCSoar running on a Dell Streak 5.

"WaltWX" wrote in message
I still like to fly with paper sectionals in the cockpit, especially in
contests with marked up TP numbers and landout options. GlidePlan, Matt
Heron's program, worked quite well at pasting together maps with waypoint
info. Although, his sectionals have not been kept up to date... now about
3yrs old.

Although, I must admit, I rarely look at the paper. LK8000 maps with TPs,
landout sites and airspace mostly make up for the paper sectionals (SeeYou
Mobile or other more expensive moving map display avionics do the same).
Recently I was getting a bit low and grabbed my dog eared sectional to read
the tower frequency. Unfortunately, it was on the map crease and the numbers
were unreadable. Do Lynn Alleys Soaringdata.info *.cups files have the
tower/ATIS frequencies? I know, that I can add them.

QUESTION: What is your practice with respect to using paper maps in the
cockpit or moving map displays for airspace/airport information?

I found that using my mini Ipad was not practical in my Discus 2A cockpit.

I'm more interested in practical solutions, not the legal ramifications from
FARs of having navigation/aeronautical database info in the cockpit.

Can Lynn Alley's sectionals (which are up to date) easily be printed out
from SeeYou or other programs to replace GlidePlan?

Would like to hear your opinions and solutions.

Walt Rogers WX