Old December 24th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Missed Approaches and Currency

On Dec 23, 8:29*am, " wrote:
Hello,

* *The past few weeks, the California central valley ( where I do most
of my flying ) has been mostly fogged in, in the mornings.
Typically 1/4mile in fog, 100foot
indefinite ceiling, tops around 900 feet. *Did my IPC, descended to
minimums on the ILS - nothing seen.

I take my students up in this all the time. As the CFII I get to log
free approaches when they fly them! The answer is yes. In fact
depending on the interpretation of the currency requirement you read
its required. In the famous Lynch FAQ that all the FDSO's have sitting
on their desk John asserts that you can *ONLY* log an actual approach
if you are IMC from the IAF down to the MAP.

-Robert, CFII