Old March 15th 05, 02:21 PM
Dave Butler

Paul Missman wrote:
All preventative maintenance must be logged, including
updating the database on your GPS unit. So, if you
have updated your GPS database and did not log it, you're
not airworthy. This one caught a lot of pilots.

However, you don't have to update your database to be legal. This is per a
briefing we received from the FAA last month.

What is true is that you must be able to verify the latitude and longitude
of any waypoint you use for navigation.

So, if you checked the latitude and longitude of your GPS nav fixes by hand
before flight, even if your database is out of date, you can still use the
GPS for navigation.

Some supplemental POHs require a current database for conducting a GPS
instrument approach. I'd be very surprised if that weren't considered a
violation of the airworthiness certificate if your supplemental POH has that
wording.

Maybe you intentionally made a distinction between approaches and "navigation"?

DGB