Old December 1st 15, 11:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Is FLARM helpful?

Interesting discussion. We've been through it in Italy 10 years ago, when Flarm was made mandatory in competitions. Lots of negative opinions, based on monopoly by the manufacturer, high cost (debatable), negative impact on "looking out" etc. Nevertheless, a vast majority adopted it also for local flying. There was also some resistance from the club fleet managers and instructors, fearing a change in the traditional way of teaching and of flying. Some said "not relevant to local flying, as we have radio and we are on local frequency" (dumb statement: I will not call a glider I have not seen).
By the way, Flarm is so widespread that it is now recommended, not compulsory equipment in italian competitions. Which is OK with me, as competition airspace is definitely open to non-Flarm traffic, including large birds, balloons, airplanes, helicopters etc.

Occasionally, the dispute comes out again, as is happening in these days.
Usually triggered by the press releases on the Flarm website. The latest is the sum of Flarm's suggestion we should add the Flarm device to the sailplane's official equipment list, have the installation approved by producing the (expensive) "Minor Change Approval" document, and by introducing Flarm firmware update in the annual inspection list.
So far, these facts infer that Flarm may be tempted, in the not-so-distant future, to ask for an annual fee, which of course most people would adverse.. A majority would welcome an alternative to Flarm, in the form of an OGN device or similar.

In conclusion, at the moment, if Flarm is installed inside a sailplane, the glider manufacturers insist that no MCA is necessary. However, if you install an antenna on the sailplane body (practically, that includes external antennas), then an MCA is required by european rules. The cost for the individual MCA is at the moment 99euros (under the definition of "special offer" for gliders (much more for aircraft), so it may well increase in the future.

aldo cernezzi
www.voloavela.it