Old January 5th 04, 04:55 AM
Andy Durbin

"Ted Wagner" wrote in message news:pI1Kb.17587$7D3.9225@fed1read02...
A few seconds into take-off roll today in a Pilatus B-4, while applying
left stick to correct for a dipping right wing, the right wing suddenly
dipped all the way into the ground. The glider lurched to the right, and
a second or two later popped up into the air, a good 20 feet up and 30
or more feet out to the side.

How many 15+ meter gliders have CG-only hooks? Are such
exciting events more commonplace with CG hooks?

Other than the wobbly tows, I'm loving the B-4, it's the first 15-meter
single-seater ship I've flown, and the first with retractable gear...

~tw

--

My 2 cents worth is that you should have used the 2 seconds to pull
the release before you left the ground. You may have been hit by a

A cg hook will give less directional stability during the early part
of the takeoff roll, particulary in a cross wind, but should have no
influence on wing drop tendency.

I have flown the last 15 or so years with aerotow on a cg hook. My new
ASW-28 has forward and CG hooks but I have never used the forward
hook.

Andy (GY)