Old September 26th 03, 12:33 AM
vincent p. norris

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?

I'm disappointed to see that not a single responder, so far, has said
he does NOT use software.

I'm not a luddite, but I think using a computer to plan a flight
is..... well, I'm afraid I would offend people if I said what I think.

I've planned, and made, a number of long cross-countries, including
two from PA to Alaska, one around the perimeter of the Lower 48 one
all over the Canadian Maritimes; and the hours I spent poring over the
sectionals, looking for the most desirable routes, the best stopping
places, and so forth, was almost as much fun as making the flights.

In addition to the pure enjoyment, I learned a lot about the
topography of my route by drawing course lines on the charts, and
discovered interesting places I would not have known about had I
depended on a computer to do my thinking for me.

vince norris