Old February 2nd 13, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Default Question about spoilers and pitch stability

On 2/2/2013 12:26 PM, kirk.stant wrote:

..... I remember having to demonstrate no-spoiler, slip to a landing in 2-33s, which are really not a big deal - but in a glass ship - a real, no spoiler to touchdown approach is a serious emergency unless you have a really long runway, and not to be taken lightly. Done incorrectly, you run the risk of being too low on final with no way of making the runway, or way too fast over the threshold with no possibility of going around. Manageable if smart abort criteria are briefed, but can result in a broken glider if not done carefully.

And, it's not even necessary in the PTS, which calls for demonstrating slips, not no-spoiler landings, I believe.

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/...-S-8081-22.pdf

R. TASK: SLIPS TO LANDING
REFERENCES: Soaring Flight Manual, Glider Flight Manual.
Objective. To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits knowledge of the elements related to forward, side,
and turning slips to landing, with and without the use of drag
devices.
2. Recognizes the situation where a slip should be used to land
in a desired area.