Old February 3rd 13, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Question about spoilers and pitch stability

In Europe standard practice is to teach fully held off landings, touching down just a fraction over stall speed in a 2 point attitude. Do the incidents referred to result from teaching a 'flown on' landing?

The fully held off approach results in far less energy to do damage if you hit a bump in an off field landing, or to generate a bounce. My flight manuals recommend it. I think there is debate about which technique involves greater risk of a PIO.