Old August 25th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Bange[_2_]

Default another gelcoat story

I'm a newbie at painting and refinishing. I used the products mentioned
and got a good job in my garage. The biggest problem I had was sanding
through the edges while polishing it out. Put LOTS of paint on the leading
edges and any corners or sharp compound curves and sand very, very lightly
there. The PPG products are vary easy to deal with and seem to hold up
well. While you are at the paint store, ask them about 3M "Guide Coat".
This product is a real time saver and one $25 container can do several
ships.

Brian
At 02:20 25 August 2008, Brad wrote:
thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. as to the amount of gas
we burned that night, Bob K might know, it was in his shop where we
layed up the skins.............

I am leaning now towards JJ's suggestion and not go with the Prestec.
I have pretty crude painting facilities at my shop (read none) so I
hope the PPG products can tolerate a less than ideal spraying
environment.

when I sanded down the second fuselage half, I noticed that the
gelcoat on that side was a bit more tenacious that the first side,
sorta had me wondering if I could leave some on and just prime over
it, but despite have sore arms, I bit the bullet and sanded it all
off..............well, that's the plan, there is still alittle bit
left to do.

my hat is off to all those brave folks who have done
this..............it is not fun!

Brad