Old July 21st 14, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Noise issues with Oudie 2 in a couple different aircraft

On Friday, July 18, 2014 9:19:00 PM UTC-7, Doug Mueller wrote:
Is anybody else having noise issues when the Oudie is hard wired

to ships power. I know two aircraft that have the squelch turned on

to try to drown out the noise on the radio. I believe it is from the

Oudie while it is being charged. I recently added the Oudie to the

aircraft and now the radio will not cancel out after receiving a

transmission. I have tried wrapping the wiring of the oudie and the

gps cables to try andshield them but it isnt helping. After I turn off

the Oudie the radio returns to normal. Thanks, Doug

Not an Oudie but the closely related Avier. I had used this last year without issue, just reinstalled it and now the radio breaks squelch with it on. After some tracing I have discovered it is the unit itself, radiating modulated RF, mostly down its data/power cable. Disconnecting the cable at the PDA end solves most of the problem. Disconnecting at the vario end sometimes solves it. Just touching a screwdriver (as an example) to the shield of the Avier mini-usb plug causes it with no other cable plugged in. Seems to be related to the LDC screen driver, as it is dependent to a large extent on what is being displayed on the screen. Switching the (switching) power supply to it on and off makes no difference. I was able to mitigate most of it by careful reroute of the data/power cable keeping it away from the radio and close to other conducting material. But it is a bit black magic. I didn't have a ferrite to try and will try that next opportunity.