Old March 13th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Scottsdale self serve fuel

"Carson Douglas" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you absolutely HAVE to go to Scottsdale?

Reason I ask is my in-laws live fairly close to SDL (near Tatum & Bell)
but
I'd rather go into Deer Valley.

I was actually considering Deer Valley, it's about 5 miles further to
where I'm going to be staying (Troon North, Pima & Dynamite). Looking
at airnav.com shows Deer Valley has almost twice as much traffic as
Scottsdale, but fuel is substainally cheaper. Why do you prefer Deer
Valley?

Mainly, as you said: fuel is substantially cheaper, by about $1.25 a gallon.
Also, Scottsdale has numerous fees that DV doesn't charge.

One thing I find is that the people at DV are genuinely more friendly and
helpful whereas at SDL they are putting on a front. I'd rather not pay a
bunch more to have someone kiss my ass, especially when it comes off as
phony.

Which FBO do you use?

I used Cutter once in a while and they were "okay" to "good", but not worth
the extra $$$, so I use Westwind, but you have to watch them as their
service runs the gamut from very good to "WAKE UPPPPP".

I don't know how it is now, but the last time I went to SDL (probably three
years now), it was much harder to get into and out of the airport) via
surface streets.

I emailed Cutter and they said they
would give me the "based" fuel price of .50 off a gal, but Westwind's
regular price is .65 a gallon cheaper than Cutter.

I must say that one time when we did use Cutter a lineboy grabbed a golfcart
to transport my wife to the parking lot when she had a cast on her foot. The
next time with them they ignored us for 20 minutes during pouring rain.

--
Matt