Old October 5th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Paul Riley" wrote

Hey, don't knock duct tape( we called it speed tape G). Kept water
out of my wing tank in Vietnam (Bird Dog) years ago. .50 cal rounds
do a nasty job, even on self sealing tanks. :-)))))

What the hey, even with one tank, for 2 hours, I still could fly the
thing. And did, for about 2 weeks.
:-)))))))))

I used to call it 200 MPH tape, because that's about how fast they go
in NASCAR. Then I got to know a Master Chief that was serving on
carriers, working on Hornets.

Then he tells me they were using it in the first Gulf War, and on
F-18's, at that! Now I have to call it 1,500 MPH tape!

No doubt that they are still using it now, for much the same purposes,
I'll bet.

1,500 MPH tape just doesn't have the same ring. It doesn't roll off
the tongue as smoothly. g

Wonderful stuff, huh?

The stuff they are using on the jets is a bit different than 200 mph tape.
It's kind of a thin but tough foil. It's actually legal for some repairs.
If you keep an eye out you might see it on the leading edge of a wing or
maybe holdin an oil door down on an engine where the fasteners have been
damaged.
It's good stuff and if ever I see a roll lying around it's in my flight
case faster'n you can say boo.,

Bertie