Old May 6th 14, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:41:23 PM UTC-6, Don Johnstone wrote:

Frankly I would be horrified to be required to conduct a turn back at

200ft, I would suggest that this is one of those occasions where the danger

of practice is to great to justify.

If you should check out in the USA, you'll be required to demonstrate competence in this maneuver. Every pre-solo student is required to do so and more than a half century of safety records do not suggest a problem. In fact, even with low performance gliders, there's quite a large safety margin. The most likely outcome is a pilot will find the glider uncomfortably high for a downwind landing requiring full spoilers and a slip.

The logic is simple - it's better to have pilots trained for the option. No one says a pilot is required to turn back or that 200' is always adequate to do so. What is illogical is to suggest a pilot be required to crash in unlandable terrain when a safe option exists to land on the departure runway.