Old March 26th 04, 06:12 AM
BTIZ

Will this all change with the coming of the "Sport Pilot Certificate" and
the "Sport Aircraft" certification?? I'm sure the Sparrow Hawk will fit into
that category.

That will make it an "aircraft" or glider, and not an ultra light, but a
Sport Aircraft. I'm sure no one wants a Sport Pilot or Sport "Glider", did I
not read somewhere that Sport aircraft category is limited to 2000ft AGL?
and a set "distance limit" from home, and also the holder of a Sport Pilot
Certificate?

We all await the final decision on "Sport", and how it impacts the soaring
community, as I understand it, a SGS 1-26 will qualify to be flown in the
Sport category by a "sport certificated pilot". But many have flown the 1-26
to great heights and distances.

Time to study up on the "Sport" restrictions and capabilities, of both pilot
and aircraft.

BT

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
news

"Caracole" wrote in message
om...

We have now received the following reply from our insurance carrier,
SSA's group plan with Costello. This plan does not cover towplanes
while towing ultralights. If the light sailplane has FAA
airworthiness (Experimental), towing it would be covered by Costello.
If the light sailplane has FAA airworthiness (Experimental), it can be
insured by Costello for hull and liability.
If the light sailplane has no FAA airworthiness certificate, Costello
offers no hull/liability coverage. There may be other insurance
sources.

It is interesting that aviation is increasingly being regulated far
more stringently by the insurance companies than by the FAA. The term

"Self
Regulation" does not quite apply except in the very general sense that the
regulation comes from within the aviation industry, so I guess we could

more
accurately call it "Market-Based regulation", or even "Insurance-Based
regulation".

Vaughn