Old April 11th 05, 02:24 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Andy" said:
What do you look for in a flying club? I am currently an officer in a
flying club and we are having trouble recruiting new members. What
would make you want to join a club?

I'm the secretary of a flying club. http://www.rochesterflyingclub.com/
Our planes are better maintained than the local FBOs, and slightly (but
not much) cheaper. We don't do much of the social stuff, except an annual
dinner. Our main advantage over renting is that the monthly dues work out
about the same as renters insurance, and our members are insured better
than they would with renters insurance.

We are starting to look into purchasing a smaller plane (152/Warrior?)
to further reduce the costs. Has this approach worked well for other
clubs?

Our club has a Warrior, two Archers, a Dakota and a Lance. It's a good
mix, and the similarity of the planes makes moving up easier. Students
can only use the Warrior, except when the Warrior is grounded they can
receive dual in one of the Archers. But having high end aircraft like the
Dakota and Lance mean that the sort of people who fly a lot have the sort
of planes that they can use for trips. Since you've already got a 172,
I'd recommend getting a 152 and a 182 and/or a 206.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Information moves, or we move to it. Moving to it has rarely been