Old September 16th 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pawnee Tow Release

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 3:36:07 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
We are looking to purchase a Pawnee PA-25 that had a Continental engine installed (230hp?). It is approved for aerial towing (Schweizer hook) and we are trying to decide if it's worth the time/money to seek an FAA conversion to towing gliders with a TOST. Have read through several of the RAS discussions on this and talked with a couple clubs that completed STC's/FDSO field inspections. I get the feeling it's a real headache, some people concluded they wouldn't do it again. Anyone have a better experience or advice?
Thanks

See if the Pawnee is certified as "Normal" vs. "Restricted". If it is in the "Restricted" category, the "special purpose" will be on the Airworthiness Certificate and it needs to say "glider towing" - not "banner towing" - in order to legally tow gliders.