Old September 16th 19, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Pawnee Tow Release

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 2:43:06 PM UTC-4, Walt Connelly wrote:
'Duster[_2_ Wrote:
;1000607']We are looking to purchase a Pawnee PA-25 that had a
Continental engine installed (230hp?). It is approved for aerial towing
(Schweizer hook) and we are trying to decide if it's worth the
time/money to seek an FAA conversion to towing gliders with a TOST. Have
read through several of the RAS discussions on this and talked with a
couple clubs that completed STC's/FDSO field inspections. I get the
feeling it's a real headache, some people concluded they wouldn't do it
again. Anyone have a better experience or advice?
Thanks

"Trying to decide if it's worth the time/money?" Time and money should
not enter into the equation when the life of your tow pilot may depend
on the TOST release. If you don't care about the life of your tow pilot
then by all means keep the Schweizer hook. While you're at it you might
give consideration to placing the release handle where the pilot can
quickly access it in the upright, seated position. JMHO

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot

--
Walt Connelly

I think that Walt has pretty much summed up the situation. Walt has see my towplane release arrangement and commented on what he saw on the Yellow Gorilla, simply put, it is SAFE, but not fool proof. Get that release handle where it is within easy reach of the pilot.