Old May 23rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Barely reach rudder pedals

This is a little outside my experience. My problem is cockpits not long
enough for my height. But climbing into the cockpit with unstable
footwear troubles me a little.

I wear lightweight hiking boots while flying to provide more ankle
support in case I ever have to use my parachute. Sure, it's a minuscule
chance but I know of several guys who've broken ankles after bailing
out and it's an easy enough precaution. Hitting the ground under a
parachute while wearing 4" platform shoes strikes me as asking to make
a bad situation worse.

I can see the objections to taping wood blocks to the pedals. I believe
I've seen rudder pedal extensions (in a Schweizer trainer?) consisting
of a second pedal hinged to the floor and offset behind the first pedal
by a few inches and connected to it with a pushrod. That's probably
much easier to install on the spacious, flat plywood floor of a 2-33
than in a glass singleplace cockpit. And it but it's worth thinking
about.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"