View Single Post
Old June 27th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Letter to the FAA

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 10:53:28 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
Wow, just wow. Acceptable. It is a release design that is clearly not working as it should and easily fixed with little money and effort (relative to costs of flying in general). And you are talking about acceptable rate of dead tow pilots? Seriously?

It's obviously acceptable: we keep towing, yes?

In many 10s of thousands of tows, my club has had no kiting incidents. No one denies the possibility of an unrecoverable accident and the probability of a Schweizer release failure in this circumstance, but experience shows that these are low probability events. Most of us can distinguish between 1:100,000 and 1:2.

My job as the safety guy is to look at the whole picture, not be a one issue zealot. Given limited resources, I'm on the 1:1000 problems first, not the 1:100,000 problems.

A Tost release is on my want list, but honestly it is not hard to some up with ten things that are far more important to overall club safety.

However, someone posts a 337 for a Tost installation on an L-19, I'll pass the hat, call Portland fsdo and start the ball rolling. It'll be a Winter project and maybe not this Winter if I have to roll my own 337.

Evan Ludeman -- Post Mills Soaring