Old August 30th 19, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 06:09:07 -0700, Scott Williams wrote:

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 1:15:04 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:
At 13:30 29 August 2019, wrote:

=20
and Ridge Soaring has been on the 'for sale' market for how

long?=20
Seems to me you need to think of a plan to buy some of

these=20
properties up and establish non profit clubs at them -maybe a

'culture=20
change' is required in the US.

Problem is real estate prices. In the old days you could buy a big

enough
=
piece of property for a small enough amount of money to run a

soaring
opera=
tion as a hobby business. Perhaps SSA should do more fundraising
specifica=
lly for purchasing airports? Or spend the money lobbying the

gov't to
bu=
y airports for our use(only half joking.) The Hanggliding/PG crowd

spends
=
a bunch of their resources securing real estate. They've also
unfortunatel=
y had to go into the insurance business themselves, which is a

terrible
out=
come, but I understand they didn't have much choice.

Real estate prices are also high in Europe yet clubs still manage to
purchase airfields.......

I thought In Europe, soaring was, sponsored by goverments. In this case
Sponsored means subsidized with money.
Is this still true?

In the UK there are Sports Council grants for equipment, but thats about
it apart from support from airminded charities and some BGA loan schemes.
IIRC gliding clubs are VAT exempt like other similar amateur sports clubs
and thats about the limit of UK Government support.

My club rents its airfield from a local farmer.

I don't know how the rest of Europe supports soaring.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org