Old January 27th 20, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Hogue

Default Best vario for airmass awareness across the speed range

Interesting that you mentioned this.

I built my Open Vario a couple of years ago with the sensor board, which includes all the normal pressure sensors plus all the necessary accelerometers for full motion measurements, with this in mind. I had great plans to code up the equations of motion, and use a kind of model following algorithm by Kalman filters to extract air mass data. Before retiring, I supervised a group of engineers who did essentially this to analyze flight test data for a fast jet program I worked on, it worked great. It is some pretty serious math, though, and I quickly found that it would take a whole lotta learning for this dimming mind to get this done solo. Plus the learning to code and implement into the OV, easier but still time needed. Plus the flight testing and development to get it to work right, this would take the most time and effort of all. Definitely could be done, though, I believe. Years of work probably.

I decided I ought to get some quality soaring in while I still can, so it has been back-burnered.

Anybody out there want to take on this sort of project with an OpenVario? I could pretty easily build another one for that purpose....

Cheers,
Jim J6