Old August 11th 03, 01:45 PM
David Henderson

In article , Jim wrote:
And which bit of the island of Ireland is occupied against the wishes of a
majority of its inhabitants?

William
Maybe I am mistaken, however I beleive there is only one island called
Ireland and one people called Irish.

Which contains two states, one a republic, one a constitutional monarchy and
two nationalities, one Irish Rebublican, one British.

From the history I have read, Tails I have been told when visiting, I am
lead to beleive the Irish would have prefered
the British had left a few hundred years ago and the British stayed by force
or arms.

Probably analogous "tales" can be told when visiting Indian reservations in
Yankland. **** happens, though, and lines have to be drawn. What the present
inhabitants think is more important than what those a few hundred years ago
thought.

Currently the Island is split into notheran Ireland (British) and Sotheran
Ireland (the country).

No, it's divided into Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom, and
the Republic of Ireland.

On my Visit to Ireland I came to the understanding from talking to Irishmen
that the majority of "Irish" would perfer the British left...

The "Irish" as a whole aren't relevent, just as the "British" as a whole
aren't. The majority of both don't live in Northern Ireland. The residents
of Northern Ireland are the only people whose voices are relevent in
the debate over whether Northern Ireland should leave the Union. I say
"leave" the union, as they may choose to apply to join the Republic, but,
of course, the Republic could refuse. At that stage, and only at that
stage, do the opinions of the residents of the Republic matter.

The Irish I talked with made it clear there was 1 Ireland and the only
reason there is a notheren is a minority of Irishmen (ulsters??) wish the
Brits
to remain.

There is only one Ireland, but it's a geographical term, in the same way
there is only one Great Britain. There are, however, two Irish states,
in the same way there are three states in Great Britain.

A majority of the residents of Northern Ireland presently wish to remain
in the Union. Please note that whilst all of Northern Ireland is in Ulster,
the two are not interchangable, as there exist three counties in Ulster
that are part of the Republic, since they were majority Nationalist.

--
I give confidential press briefings.
You leak.