Old March 18th 04, 03:03 PM
Burt Compton

Anyone familiar with the soaring opportunities within driving distance
of San Antonio?

In Texas, a "short-drive" is a trip that does not cross the Texas state line.
Marfa is a day's drive west of San Antonio on I-10, or highway 90 in the
mountains of west Texas and near Big Bend National Park. If you choose scenic
highway 90, you can stop at Langtry, and see the restored office of Judge Roy
Bean, as featured in the movie.

But to the point, you can find all of the soaring sites in the USA and The
Republic of Texas (not a US State, by the way) at www.SSA.org Click on
"Where to Fly".

Your first choice near San Antonio is to soar at Boerne Stage Airfield.
Contact Bob Bruce at 830-981-2345 and see their webstie at www.5C1.net

Uvalde, TX is a contest site, but training and a tow is usually not available
except by prior arrangement.

Tows and training are available year-round at Marfa in west Texas, host of the
1970 World Soaring Contest and where "The Sun Ship Game" movie was filmed.

2004 Marfa Events:
April 3-11: Dick Johnson's annual Marfa Wave Camp.
May 28-30: "Wings and Wheels" Memorial Day weekend Fly-In for airplanes,
gliders, vintage cars and motorcycles.
June 1 - July 15: Texas Glider Rally - our annual xc soaring camp.

Yep, just a "short-drive".

Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.FLYGLIDERS.com