Old March 29th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

fcnorton wrote:
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about buying a HpH 304C/CZ as my first
sailplane. Am I nuts?

No... It's a reasonable choice.

I'm a 1000+ hour power pilot that's been flying off and on for almost
30 years. My last plane was a Mooney 251 in 1992. I have NO time in
single seat sailplanes because I'm trying to fast track my add on
license and have spent all my time in a 2-33 getting ready for the
check ride.

Sounds good.

The reality is that the other sailplanes that meet my criteria are less
money but not THAT much less, especially if this is a plane that I will
not "outgrow" in several years (if ever). I live in Southern
California so I can fly pretty much year round. The ship seems to fit
the bill...I need something that I can store in a GOOD trailer and is
truly a one man assembly. I also need something with a reasonably
sized cockpit, I'm 6'1" and 205#.

ASSUMING that I get some dual time in a glass sailplane prior to
transitioning into the ship is this "too big of a step" for my first
sailplane? There is a 304CZ owner at the club I fly at and he SWEARS

2-33 training is plain and simple inadequate preparation for any
Glasflugel or most glass ships. That said, if you get some additional
dual training in an apropriate aircraft, I think a 304 is a very
reasonable first ship. As a 301 pilot, I can tell you Glasflugel
really was ahead of its time, the 304 is a slick ship. Bear in mind I
said an "appropriate aircraft" however, and I don't think a Grob
qualifies. The Grob is lumbering, and heavy on the controls
comparatively. It basically flies like a 2-33 but with higher
performance and less slop in the controls (I'm sure that statement will
get this thread really moving along nicely). If you can go with a Janus,
Duo Discus, ASK-21, ASK-7, or ASK-13, my guess is they are all better
than a Grob.

good luck!