Old January 6th 04, 08:04 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:55:55 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

... and visibility will be 1000 miles.

In Iowa, in the winter, you can see 1000 miles by standing on a chair.

A cute, but common, misperception. Parts of Iowa are far from flat!

I'm from the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. I've flown through Iowa and
Kansas. You don't have hills out there... Those are Mountains!

Around here, if you spill a pint of water it'd cover 40 acres if it
didn't soak in first. Course the DNR would declare it wet lands in
that case.

Actually the vast majority of Lower Michigan is one great big swamp
that was drained to create farm land. They never got around to
draining the UP. You abandon a field around here and it really will
qualify as wet lands in 4 or 5 years.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

And while Iowa City is not mountainous by any stretch, we live on a hill.

The hotel, of course, being adjacent to the airport, is on a
flat-as-a-pancake parcel of land just south of some pretty good ridge-lines.