Old June 24th 05, 03:32 PM

Hmmm,

disagree in practice if not in principle. Bending and twisting moments
are much greater with increasing span. And a certain degree of symmetry
is assumed in measuring load limits. Contol inputs will significanly
change the lift distribution across the span (the squatcheloid). So
will twist in the wing. Al Blackburn's point, and I take it to heart,
is that design requirements don't look at failure modes under a variety
of assymetric lift distributions.

Consider the deployment of one spoiler cap during the spiral dive
recovery with deflected ailerons to recover from a steep bank.

The lesson I take away is to be very thoughful in applying the controls
under high load.