Old February 21st 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Narrowing it down... Comanche?

"Ken Reed" wrote in message
k.net...
-- One obvious contender I bypassed here is the Mooneys. I'm ready
for contrary opinions here, but my reading seems to indicate that early
models will be claustrophobic, at best; the "middle" models (the M20J)
start getting better but have marginal useful loads; and the "later"
models have all you could want but are big bucks....

What was your price point again ? I doubt you'll be claustrophobic in any
Mooney. They all have tremendous legroom for front seat passengers and the
cabin width is equal to or wider than any other single engine GA airplane
(Cirrus not withstanding). A Mooney 231 if it fits your price point is
worth a look and the 'E' model if a 231 is too much $$$. All Mooneys have
+/- 1000 lb useful load. I am biased, flying a Bravo now and "C" model
previously.
---
Ken Reed
N9124X

Ken:

The legroom fits with what I've read--but, otherwise, you're the first
source who *doesn't* say the Mooney is "a tight fit," "like getting into a
sports car," "you wear it," etc. M20s have a 43" cabin width from what I've
read--compare to 45" for the Comanche (and 50" for the Trinidad, part of
what gets me drooling over that plane). Are my figures off??

I'm trying to get away with less than $100K--which will get me some of the
lesser 201/J models from what I'm seeing, or any of the earlier models. The
1,000 useful load is a bit lower than what I want--I want to carry 4 real
people and cruise for 4 hours @ 150 mph (600 sm) or better. That
"requirement" isn't written in stone, but it's the mission on which I based
my initial search.

No worries on being "biased," opinions are what I want/need here!
Thanks....
--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight