Old June 17th 04, 10:33 PM
Ian Strachan

In article , Pete Reinhart
writes
All,
Michael makes two very salient points:
1. The hassel to fun ratio is very high in soaring.

Not if you have a share in a motor glider. Including self-sustainers
of course, including Schempp's Turbos.

Anyway, when there was hassle on gliding fields in my youth, that did
not put me off. mending cable breaks was all too common, soaring was
not. It is the other way round nowadays, fortunately.

But I am a lifelong fanatic, which others obviously are not.

Soaring is always challenging but some times it may not be fun when you
are about to land in some nasty field a long way fro base. Hence my
long-term addiction to having an "outboard engine" like the small
sailing boats I used to crew for .....

--
Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK