Old July 23rd 05, 02:31 AM
Tom Young

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote

...I can't remember ever stepping on the brakes after liftoff in anything
other than a retractible... and that's only if I remembered. As for your
old wive's tale about dire consequences, it's so much crap. Somebody was
trying to scare you.

No doubt, but you got me wondering where I saw it. Dug around a little:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182683-1.html

From that article:

: Myths for the Last Millenium
: "Hit the brakes after takeoff before you retract the gear." That's a bad
habit to acquire as the need for brakes is
: very much airplane-specific. There may be a certain, small number of
airplanes on which it is necessary as the
: spinning wheels caused some sort of mischief as they hit their wells.
Okay, the World War II Hawker Typhoon
: was one, but I can't come up with any others right this moment (and you're
probably not flying a Typhoon this
: week, are you?) There are more airplanes, particularly ones with fairly
massive landing gear, on which hitting the
: brakes slams the wheels to a stop and will rotate the tire on the rim,
potentially causing it to be unable to hold air
: pressure or actually cutting the valve stem. So, unless the airplane
flight manual says to hit the brakes, don't
: bother.

I imagine he wasn't thinking of a 172 when he wrote 'fairly massive landing
gear.'

--
Tom Young
37.7 toward PP-ASEL