Old June 25th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Aluminum angle

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 05:33:02 -0700, Lou wrote:

Yea, I've found the 6063 everywhere. Now if you can tell me the
difference between the 6063 and the 6061
I might learn something. The only stuff I can find is very vague.
Sometimes I think they purposly
don't tell you things.
Lou

6063-T52 Aluminum
Minimum Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi 27,000
Yield Strength, psi 21,000
Brinell Hardness 60
Chemistry Aluminum (Al) 97.5% max
Chromium (Cr) 0.1% max
Copper (Cu) 0.1% max
Iron (Fe) 0.35% max
Magnesium (Mg) 0.45 - 0.90%
Manganese (Mn) 0.1% max
Silicon (Si) 0.2 - 0.6%

6061-T6 Aluminum
Physical and Mechanical Properties Ultimate Tensile Strength, psi
45,000
Yield Strength, psi 40,000
Brinell Hardness 95
Rockwell Hardness B60
Chemistry Aluminum (Al) 95.8 - 98.6%
Chromium (Cr) 0.04 - 0.35%
Copper (Cu) 0.15 - 0.40%
Magnesium (Mg) 0.8 - 1.2%
Manganese (Mn) 0.15% max
Silicon (Si) 2.8 - 3.8%
Zinc (Zn) 1.5% max

So 6063 is about HALF the strength of 6061. A bit better than half as
hard. No zink, very little Silicon, half the magnesium, quarter the
copper, etc etc.

Totally different stuff (generally used for architectural extrusions -
non structural)