Old September 26th 03, 04:34 AM
Dudley Henriques

"QDurham" wrote in message
Take a look at the instruments on the panel when they do that. No matter

what
the airplane is doing on the screen the indicators always show zero RPM,
straight and level, field elevation, zero climb/dive....etc.

Also, based on my SNJ experience 50 years ago, pull + g's and the tracers
apparently droop out of the gun. Go for - gs and they arc gracefully

upwards.
Kijk rudder and they apparently slew to omne side or the other --

depending.
Pull hard +gs and the rate of fire sl;ows dramaticaly -- probably due to

the
increased "weight" of ammo belt. Pull -gs and the rate of fire picks up
considerably.

Air to air gunnery, as discussed here, is miserably hard to do. Like

sitting
on your front porch trying to aim your house. Also fun.

Quent

You're right as rain Quent! My experience doesn't go back beyond the A4
sight however, which solved for gravity drop, trajectory shift,and velocity
jump, as well as ranging.....all solved as a prediction solution.
We had it easy though!!! Those guys in the prop fighters during the war had
to be a mixture of Annie Oakley, Buffalo Bill, and Wild Bill Hickock!!
It's funny though, even with "modern" sights, the "real good shooters"
through the sixties still took a quick glance at the ball just before
hitting that trigger....out of pure habit!! :-)))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
For personal e-mail, use dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnet
(changeztoe)