Old October 21st 03, 05:06 PM
Jay Masino

JohnMcGrew wrote:
Blame it on NASA. If there is a lack of alternative "heavy lift" capability,
it's only because over 20 years ago, NASA mandated that all future government
payloads be designed around the shuttle, and all alternatives to the shuttle be
scuttled. This was in order to make the shuttle a "necessity" to America's
space program.

That's interesting, since NASA routinely sends payloads into orbit on
spacecraft other than the shuttle. The three that I work on (EOS/Terra,
EOS/Aqua, EOS/Aura) are all non-shuttle payloads. If I remember right,
Terra and Aqua were launched using Atlas Centaur rockets, launched from
Vandenburg AFB in California.

The reality was that the economics of the shuttle were complete fantasy, and
NASA knew it. (hence the mandates leaving the US with few alternatives until
the French, Russians, and Chinese started filling the void) We could (and
perhaps should have) gone on building disposable Saturn-like boosters (500k
pound payloads, vs the shuttle's 30k to 40k). The R&D was paid for, and the
support costs would be a fraction. (A typical shuttle mission costs somewhere
around half-a-billion)

The Shuttle's purpose was more than just lifting payloads. It's both a
scientific platform, as well as a on-orbit repair station.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva