Old March 1st 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Vertical stabilizers

On Feb 28, 5:38*pm, wrote:
On Feb 27, 2:08 pm, Dallas wrote:

To me, coordinated is coordinated. *Sure, there are micro disruptions that
try to produce a yaw that the vertical stabilizer is called upon to resist,
after all, that's why it's there.

But, in a coordinated turn, the goal is to balance the pressure on both
sides of the stabilizer.

The rudder/fin produces a lateral force to cause the coordination and
will generate a tip vortex. Otherwise, why would we need the vertical
surface?

Dan

I am clearly missing something here. I use the control surfaces to
roll into a turn, then return them to neutral and trim away the back
pressure once the desired bank is established in a coordinated turn. I
don't think in that case the airplane knows it's in a turn. The G
vector in normal to the wings and the fuselage centerline, but we
will of course be experiencing more than 1 G.

I won't bother posting to the other topic of interest, but most of us
who are rated simply file IFR and don't worry about cloud separation,
except for the concern that someone not flying on an instrument flight
plan may be poking around. Solid IMC is
somewhat better in that sense.

By the way, if on an instrument flight plan in the US, just ask center
to allow you to cruise within an altitude range, and then if it's
granted you can play in and out of the clouds: it is priceless. Once
out of congested areas in the east that permission is almost always
given, the controller will understand -- he or she will be green
with envy, but will understand.